Poisonous

DSC_0002

Omphalotus Nidiformis

When I’m out looking for mushrooms there are a huge variety that are often difficult to ID. Its important to be sure what a mushroom is before considering edibility as some mushrooms can cause a long slow death. Having said that the deadly mushrooms are few but the unidentified mushrooms are many. Australia has many thousands of macro fungi species many of which have never been properly classified. The mushrooms that are eaten in Australia are the same species that are eaten over seas. One mushroom in particular is misidentified more then any other, the Death cap, Aminita Phalloides. I am unaware of this mushroom growing in the area however I’ve had a whole lot of people tell me they have seen them growing here. These people see a mushroom and assume that its a death cap without any idea what a death cap looks like, how they grow or where they grow. A. phalloides grows under introduced oak trees in a temperate climate. However recently I have become aware of a native amanita from section phalloideae that grows locally, it is said to contain some of the same deadly toxins found in the death cap. I am becoming increasingly aware of the need for anyone foraging for fungi to be able to identify common mushrooms to genus, being able to tell an amanita from an agaricus is potentially a life saving skill to have.

There are local mushrooms that are poisonous and some of them look very much like edible mushrooms. Its beyond my abilities to come up with a complete list of poisonous mushrooms found in the local area however there are some common ones that I will post about.

Agaricus xanthodermus and A. moelleri: the yellow staining agarics 

Native yellow staining agaricus with an unpleasant odor

Amanita marmorata: the marbled death cap

amanita muscaria: the fly agaric

Chlorophyllum molybdites: The green spored parasol

Chlorophyllum hortense should be treated as suspect

Galerina species are present in Australia and some may be deadly poisonous.

Omphalotus Nidiformis the ghost fungus

A 53-year-old woman in Queensland, died from an acute muscarinic syndrome 10 hours after eating mushrooms belonging to the genus Rubinoboletus. (globally this case is extremely rare)

Locally, a severe allergic reaction has been reported from eating a Ramaria coral fungi.

 

Advertisements